Friday, March 29, 2013

Review: Slaughterhouse-Five


Purchase Slaughterhouse-Five here.

Synopsis:

Slaughterhouse-Five, an American classic, is one of the world’s great antiwar books. Centering on the infamous firebombing of Dresden, Billy Pilgrim’s odyssey through time reflects the mythic journey of our own fractured lives as we search for meaning in what we fear most.

Review:

This one has been sitting in my to-read pile for a while; I'd occasionally read a few pages, then get distracted by schoolwork.  However, I think I finally got to Slaughterhouse-Five at exactly the right time.  I'm currently in a course on Science Fiction, so the mixture of Trafalmadore with a brilliant antiwar novel was intriguing to me.  First of all, I love the discussion of time as something all happening simultaneously, and that Billy Pilgrim has just become "unstuck".  In addition, Billy is incredibly interesting as an unreliable narrator.  Is he a time traveler, a crazy old man, or just suffering from PTSD, using his favourite novels to cope with unspeakable atrocities?  Either way, this was an interesting read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment