Friday, May 17, 2013

Review: Point Your Face at This


Purchase Point Your Face at This here.

Synopis:

In his first book, This Is a Book, Demetri Martin introduced fans and readers to his unique brand of long-form humor writing. Now Demetri returns with an eclectic volume devoted entirely to his trademark one-liners and drawings, as well as short prose and poetry, leaving the longer-form material for his next hardcover. Like an indie stepchild of Gary Larson and Jack Handey, POINT YOUR FACE AT THIS contains hundreds of drawings, jokes, and page-long bits, showcasing Martin's particular penchant for brevity and a sensibility all its own-and will be a great gift book and a must-have for fans of the brainy, ambidextrous, comedian, palindromist (and author), Demetri Martin.

Review:

As I mentioned previously, I really enjoy Demetri Martin's stand up. I find his deadpan delivery and rough drawings very funny and I've seen many of his videos. When I reviewed Martin's first book, This is a Book, I expressed the wish that the book had been only the drawings rather than having the essays mixed in. So naturally, when I had the chance to review a book that was just that, I was overjoyed. However, I am yet again disappointed by how Demetri Martin's humor translates on paper. His stand up is amazing, but without his trademark delivery, his drawings fall flat. I did chuckle a few times, but an overwhelming portion of the jokes were mysogynistic and just plain fat phobic. I was rather disappointed by Demetri Martin's second book, but I hope to keep enjoying his live stand-up in the future. 

Until next time, happy reading!
-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment